Latest Bloggings

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Second Round Barbecue

Yeah!!! It gets better everytime I try it.

Well, this time around I perfected the technique. Unlike the last time, I bought a packet of hickory wood chips, only for RM10.90 at ACE Hardware. I was chosing between hickory or mesquite wood chips. But, I made the right choice for the type of barbecue I was preparing. Apparently overdosing your meats with mesquite smoke may result in some bitterness, therefore it's best to use this type of smoking base for larger barbecues and shorter periods of cooking.

So, hickory suite me just fine. I had to get the stuff smoking at first when I used it. A pretty simple task with a "smoking tray". For lack of a proper one, a RM1 pasar malam metal tray suited me just fine. When the smoke started, it was quite strong at first but it mellowed to a nice flow after a while.

Winnie marinated a batch of honey chicken wings. Told her a few additional tips to get the flavour into the wings, ie. a bit of salt, more sugar, don't overdose on the wings etc. I had marinated my version with 1) Cajun Spice, 2) Garam Masala, 3) Good dose of salt, 4) Pepper, and half a lemon (I saw half a lemon lying in the fridge but the next day as I was munching into the chicken, Winnie told me she was using the half lemon to absord the smell of the fridge... mppph.... Could have been the reason for the 'extra' flavours).

Anyway, I loved the mix! Could have held back slightly with the salt but otherwise a recipe that can beat Kenny Rogers or Nando's anyday... hehehe...

Next round of barbi, I'm gonna marinate with a can of coke (for the honey chicken), and do a version of spicy chicken wings... mmpphh.. thinking about it, I gotta try the smoking on some real red meats!

No comments:

My Flickr