Latest Bloggings

Monday, July 10, 2006

New Lens : Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-f4.5


Alright! I've sold off my Canon EOS 30, Sigma 18-125mm, and Canon EF24-85mm for a total sum of = enough money to buy a sharp Sigma 17-70mm. It was my first idea to get a 17-40mm f4 L lens but I've weighed both the pros and cons... I could do with the additional 30mm. The magical number which bridges across to meet my 70-200mm f4 L lens!

Despite the aperture not being constant, it features a f2.8 at the widest, better than the 17-40mm's f4! And if I had the 17-70mm's focal length at 40mm, I bet I could get at least an f4, on par with the 17-40mm.

I'll just have to face the fact that the 17-40mm is still the sharper lens, but what the heck the 17-70mm is damn sharp too! I guess it's like comparing a samurai sword and a razor blade. Though I may not shave myself with a samurai sword, both cuts like nobody's business... hehehe.

And btw, the 17-40mm retails for RM2100 (second hand) and the 17-70mm at RM1300 (new). So, no more questions I guess...

In addition to this, I'm selling off my Canon 420EX flash, faithful but lacking somewhat in customisable features. And the overpriced 580EX is on the way... Well, what got the ball rolling for this was the fact that I visited Digicolor and wonderful shop which sells cheap China-made accesories and bought a transmitter and receiver for my flash and was instantly hooked when I tried it on my camera. Instant magic. Can't wait to try out some more. But the 420Ex didn't allow me to change the f stop settings...

No comments:

My Flickr